This recipe is developed for a whole, untrimmed 1.00kg U.S. Beef Tri Tip roast, or about 2.20lbs.
1kg U.S. Beef Tri Tip (untrimmed)
• 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 1 tsp Coarse Sea Salt
• 1 tsp Garlic Powder
• ½ tsp Ground Cumin
• ½ tsp Black Pepper
• 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
• 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
• ½ Cup Cilantro/Coriander leafs (packed)
• ½ Cup Italian Parsley leafs (packed)
• 1 Garlic cloves
• ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
• ½ tsp Ground Cumin
• ½ tsp Dry Red Pepper Flakes
• ½ Cup Olive Oil
1. Wipe your Tri Tip dry with a paper towel, and transfer it to a sheet pan.
2. Add the Dry Rub ingredients (excluding the Olive Oil) into a small bowl and mix well by hand.
3. Coat the Tri Tip with Olive Oil then rub the meat well with the Dry Rub mixture.
4. Place your Tri Tip roast in a pan or wire rack and allow to stand at room temperature for up to one hour.
For Gas or Propane Grill
1. Prepare your grill for direct heat (hot) on one side and indirect (low) heat on the other.
2. Grill your Tri Tip (fat side up) over direct heat for about 4 minutes, then flip it fat side down for another 4 minutes. When grilling fat side down, rotate your Tri Tip over the grill halfway through the cook. This will help achieve the desired grill marks on your roast.
3. Remove the Tri Tip from the grill and cover loosely to rest for about 5 minute.
4. Return the Tri Tip to the grill over indirect heat, close the grill top/cover, and finish cooking until you achieve an Internal Temperature of about 50°C for medium-rare, or 55°C for medium. This should take about 20 to 25 minutes.
• Note: once removed from the grill, the Tri Tip will experience carry-over cooking,” and the Internal Temperature could rise about 5°C more.
5. Remove the Tri Tip from the grill and let it rest, loosely tented with aluminum foil, for about 10 minutes.
1. Preheat the Oven to 170°C and heat a cast iron (or any heavy- duty) pan over the stovetop.
2. Sear the Tri Tip for about 2 minutes fat side down to render the fat, then flip it over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Transfer the Tri Tip to an oven-safe pan and finish cooking it in the oven for about 20 minutes uncovered or until the Internal Temperature of the Tri Tip reaches 50°C for medium-rare or 55°C for medium.
4. Once the Tri Tip reaches the desired internal temperature, remove it from the oven and let it rest, loosely tented in aluminum foil, for about 10 minutes.
1. Add all ingredients (except the Olive Oil) into a blender or food processor, and blend for about 20 seconds to break down the leafs.
2. Slowly add Olive Oil into the opening of the lid in a thin and steady stream while the machine is still running. Do this until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened.
3. This sauce can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 1 week and goes great with any steak cut or even for dipping with breads like Focaccia or Ciabatta.
This roast is best served medium-rare to medium. After resting, plate and carve against the grain into 2cm thick slices, top generously with Chimichurri Sauce and serve.