You’ll love how a simple concordance of egg, salt, flour and water yields deliciously tender pasta to use immediately or even several days later.
And as a support, we propose to you an online course – From an Italian Nonna to Master the Art of Making Pasta. Gonna Nerina is an 84-year-old Italian grandmother that live streams two-hour-long cooking lessons at nonnative.com. Nerina and her daughter shares one of their classic family recipes and will send you a list of ingredients beforehand so you can get totally ready.
You can also follow this simple two Ingredients Homemade Pasta Recipe (without a machine).
- 3 cups (426g) all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs (or 5 small eggs)
- On a large flat clean surface place the flour in a mound.
- Crack all 4 large eggs into the center of the mound of flour creating a well to hold the eggs.
- Using a light hand, break the yolks of the egg and gently bring the flour into the center of the well using your fingertips.
- Keep incorporating the flour into the eggs until all the flour has been absorbed. This will be a messy process, but it is well worth it! Once the dough starts to form, bring it together with your palms and knead into a smooth yellow dough. This will take roughly 5 minutes. Note: if your dough is on the dry side you can add a little SLASH of water to bring it together.
- When the dough forms a ball, cover tightly with cling wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes to allow the dough the rest and the gluten to develop. No longer than 18 hours.
- After resting, remove the dough from the fridge and cut into 4 equal pieces. Set aside and cover with a towel to stop it from drying out.
- Flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll 1 ball of dough at a time into a large thin sheet. I don’t give dimensions for this part as it varies but my one note would be to get it as thin humanly possible. Like paper thin.
- Once the dough has been rolled out, fold it over itself several times. Cut the roll of pasta into strips roughly 1/4 inch thick depending on what pasta you are making. Then dust some flour over the sliced strips of dough and unravel them to reveal your fresh pasta! Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Set cut pasta aside on a tray and leave out at room temperature to cook off or cover and place in the fridge to be cooked later.
HOW TO COOK IT
- Place a medium pot over medium-high heat and boil 8 cups of water. Once the water is boiling salt it and place the fresh pasta in the water.
- Add the pasta and allow to cook for roughly 2 minutes or until tender. When the pasta floats to the top of the pot it is ready.
- Strain the water off the pasta and serve as desired.
HOW TO STORE
- Keep it covered on a tray in the fridge for up to 3 days. It also freezes really well for up to 4 weeks.
POINT OF SALES
If you don’t want to do it, where to buy it?
Made with two ingredients only, free range eggs and flour, it does not need refrigeration, last eight months in the pantry and take 3 minutes to cook.
Point of sales Aziz, Meat the Fish, Aziz, Better Life Market, Dekenet Tawlet