- 1.5 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fine semolina
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
Orange blossom syrup
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 0.5 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Orange Blossom water
Serves 15 pieces
Walnut filling: Combine together 1 cup crushed walnuts, 2 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. coconut flakes, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, a hint of ground cloves and 1 tsp. orange blossom water.
Cheese filling: One cup shredded akawi cheese or fresh mozzarella cheese. Mix the cheese with 1 tsp. sugar, ½ tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. orange blossom water.
Ashta filling: 1 cup homemade ashta, infused with mastic or orange blossom water. For the ashta filling qatayef, dip the open area with crushed pistachios.
ORANGE BLOSSOM SYRUP
Dissolve the sugar in the water and cook over medium heat until the syrup thickens a bit about 10-12 minutes. Add the lemon juice and orange blossom water and cook for another 3 minutes.
1. Combine all the dough ingredients using a blender (start with the water).
2. Blend for 2-3 minutes until you have a smooth batter.
3. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Heat up a non-stick pan medium-low heat.
5. Drop 1 tablespoon of batter and spread lightly using the bottom of your spoon.
6. The qatayef will begin to bubble. Once there is no more shiny (raw batter) areas remove the qatayef are ready (do not flip them over). The qatayef should cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Transfer the qatayef to a plate and cover with a kitchen towel and let the qatayef dough cool down.
8. The qatayef can be filled by walnut, cheese or achta.
Start stuffing them by placing each qatayef into your palm, add about 2 tsps. of your favorite filling in the middle, then fold it in half to make a crescent shape. Pinch the top firmly to close it out. Set aside.
TIPS: The qatayef now can be frozen for a later use. If you are frying them fresh, make sure to keep them covered with the towel and fry them within an hour of filling them.
9. Deep fry them in batches for 2-3 minutes or until you see the golden crispy color.
10. Remove from the oil and set them over paper towels to take out any excess oil.
11. Then give them a quick dip in the warm orange blossom syrup. Serve them warm.
If you don’t want to try – buy from 5 of the best pastry shops in Lebanon
|AL BABA SWEETS
|RAFAAT HALLAB & SONS
|RAFIC AL RASHIDI SWEETS