QUICK & EASY
BY CHEF BALKIS OTHMAN
Serves 3 jars | Prep/cooking 15 mins
- 1kg cucumbers
- 1kg carrots
- 1kg green tomatoes
- 1kg small green and red peppers
- 4 small onions
- 4 garlic gloves
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 3 hot green chili
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- 1l hot water
- 3 tbsp. Himalayan rock salt
- 1 cup of red vinegar
- 1 ginger
- 1 cup thyme leaves
- Add salt to the hot water.
- Cut the cucumbers, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, onions, garlic and thyme leaves (medium size).
- Fill three medium-size jars with green peppers with the chopped vegetables.
- Put the green and red stuffed peppers in the jars and add the mustard seed and green hot chili.
- Fill the jars with the salted water (half full) then add the vinegar and olive oil.
- Close the jars firmly and store them in a dark place for two weeks before consuming.
- Homemade pickles are tastier, healthier and much easier to make than you’d expect. Recommended months to prepare pickles are July, August and September.
- Stick a label on each jar with the date of preparation.
- Once you open the jar, put it in the fridge.