- 1½ kg whole chicken, cut into 4 pieces
- 1500 ml water
- ¾ cup olive oil or 185 ml
- 450 g onions , sliced
- 1 cube chicken stock bouillon, crumbled
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sumac
- 3 tbsp pine seeds, toasted
- 20 pcs katayef bread
- 1cup tahini
- ½cup lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup yoghurt
- Place chicken and water in a large pot and bring to boil. Remove froth as it appears then simmer for 45-50 mins or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and throw away the water. Set aside to cool. Remove and throw bones and skins. Flake chicken to strips and keep aside.
- Warm olive oil in a pot; add onions and fry for 5 mins or until the onions become tender.
- Add the prepared chicken strips, crumbled chicken stock cube, black pepper, sumac and pine seeds. Simmer and stir for 2 mins or until all are well combined (add salt if it’s needed).
- Add some chicken mixture evenly on a center of each piece of katayef bread. Roll bread and place it in a baking dish. Brush with some olive oil the top of each roll.
- Bake in a 230ºC preheated oven until bread becomes slightly brown in color.